On September 12, 1952 six couples met at 3201 Amidon to discuss the formation of a new church in Northwest Wichita. Nine days later, on September 21, the fist service of Pleasant Valley Methodist Church was held in the home of Mr. & Mrs. Herman Mueller, 2801 Porter. Church school for the children wa held across the street at the Coulson's.
Our first minister, the late Rev. W. E. Callahan, began regular services in the remodeled garage of the Emmett Halls, 2824 N. Clarence, with Church school there and in other neighborhood homes. In March, 1953 the groundbreaking was held for the first building. During construction, church services were held at Pleasant Valley Elementary School auditorium. On May 2, 1954 the official cornerstone laying occurred and in October the Rev. George Wattenbarger became the pastor.
In September, 1992 we celebrated our 40th anniversary. The picture above shows the charter members that attended the 40th anniversary celebration. In 2009 there are still several charter members in regular attendance at Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church. In addition, several generations of their families and three to four generations of other families are members at PVUMC. We are proud of our heritage and our charter members. As the years pass "our prayer continues to be that we shall grow spiritually, that we shall be concerned about others, and that we shall be a Church in Mission." (from the 1977 and 1983 church history booklets).